Saturday, May 23, 2015

Shared some tips

Me:  Shared some tips from my experience that they hadn't thought of... though they are exceeding well prepared from training opportunities. A couple of weeks here and there at NTC.

Friend on Skype
: uh huh

Me: Which is an opfor mission area in the Mojave Desert.

Friend on Skype: so you gave them your perspective

Me: Yeah... they were ready to pack sweaters or field jackets. I told them pack BOTH.
From their time in California... they experienced 110 degrees dropping to 70. Their jaws dropped when I told them what they might really get.

125 degrees dropping to 50.

Friend on Skype: hopefully they will listen and pass it on

Me: But the other technique that I shared really got them nodding.

"Whenever you get thirsty before you drink some water ask your buddy when was the last time he drank?" I got ??? until I explained the solution.

Friend on Skype: right so everyone stays hydrated

Me: Yup, but everyone stays connected and in touch with each other. That's the core of good teamwork.

Friend on Skype:
very true. brothers keeper, marco polo

Me: I.e. A casualty doesn't just put the team 1 man down. He's down and those taking care of him are down. It's one of them counter intuitive things. That's why a smart enemy doesn't want you dead... yet. He just wants you to help distract or divert your buddies.

They nodded in understanding... then I told them about their #1 enemy that will start attacking them once they get in country.

Heat.

Heat casualties are really preventable and can be really troublesome. The brain starts going... on a person with a gun. Not nice imho.

So at the end of that "class"... I was given their unit patch and they all asked my name adopting me I think. The added facet... of all the VFW guys there I was Young uncle age to these kids. So I could talk their cultural language allowing for the connecting.

Oh, and at some point thier medical guys (emt's) found out from the other vfw guys about my TBI. Another aspect they could not really believe until they pointedly asked me if I had one. Yeah... oh and the fact that I was airborne made them laugh as well. Proof that I was crazy before my TBI in their joking.

I couldn't disagree with them.

Life long adrenalin junkie I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment